It’s been a long time coming and I’ve been promising for some time now, but I finally got the seed growing test underway. For quite a while now I’ve been talking about how great worm compost is for plants. What great soil it makes for seeds. How it’s the best fertilizer that nature could make. How it works as great as store bought fertilizer but is actually good for the plants and good for the environment.
I’ve been mentioning to my kids for about a week now how we are going to get it all set up. I’ve had the pots and the soil sitting in our dining room for the same amount of time. It’s gotten to the point that my boys keep asking when we are actually going to do it too.
Well anyway, tonight was the night. Carter and I went out side and dug up some soil from behind the shed in our back yard. We have a good amount of clay in our soil here at the house, and I think we might have gotten a couple of earthworms in the process as well. So we filled the first pot.
Next we filled the 2nd pot with soil from the picture above. It was just some basic all purpose potting soil that I got on sale at Rite Aid (75% off, can’t beat it!).
Last we went down to the wormery and and scooped out some worm compost. I’ve had this specific bin set up since last January. So not quite a year but plenty of time to get some really awesome earthworm compost! This is the first I’ve taken anything out of them bin since setting it up. This stuff really seems like the best stuff ever. I mean you could tell looking at it that it’s going to be great for growing! Now, lets just hope that the facts back me up.
So a couple weeks ago my boys and I went out shopping for some seeds that we could use for this test. Really we could use anything. Probably the best thing to use would have been some flower seeds. We could quickly see which one was growing quickest and best and it wouldn’t be dependent on bees and bugs to pollinate them to bloom. But I really hate growing things just to grow them. I really wanted to grow something we could eat. It was hard to find something that would work inside, especially when picking from the selection of what was left at the end of the season here in the Northeast.
So we finally settled on carrots. Which I’m not 100% positive if they need to be pollinated but the boys seemed excited about it so I pulled the trigger. What was interesting though when I opened the pack I noticed they included a bonus pack of basil seeds as well. I quickly figured that this was even better then carrots. I don’t think basil needs pollination and it definitely could be useful for cooking around the house here.
So anyway, we make 4 half-inch holes in each pot. We put a few basil seeds in each of the 4 holes and covered them over. The worm compost didn’t really need any watering because it was all ready so moist right out of the bin. The backyard soil only needed slight watering because it’s been so rainy today. The all purpose potting soil from the store did need a good watering though.
Once we have everything all set we labeled the pots and Carter put them in the window.
So the test is simple. I’m going to check in every day or two and see how the plants are doing. Maybe even take some specific measurements. At least though I’ll be checking on them visually and posting here on wormcompostingorgainc.com. I’m basically putting my money where my mouth is. I’ve been saying for so long how great this worm compost is for growing, so it’s time to really see it in practice.
Next up will be to used some of the compost tea from the catch tray under the worm bin and see what kind of measurable effect it might have as well.
As a bonus the boys and I planted a pea seed in the worm bin the other night just to see what it would do. Carter and I checked on it tonight while we were getting some compost out for out test. Interestingly there hasn’t been any growth yet. I’ll keep checking on it as well and report back.